Saturday, September 5, 2009

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?


As a kid, my absolute favorite story was The Three Little Pigs. I had (and still do have) the Disneyland record, which I must have listened to at least 1,000,000 times. I would sit in front of the HUGE stereo in the den and listen to it over and over. It was the kind of stereo that was a piece of furniture, not just a turn table and speakers. I would sit and study the album cover as I listened to the story. I absolutely loved it! I didn't realize at the time, but that record was having a huge impact on what direction my life would take as I grew older. It was shaping who I was going to be as an artist and how I wanted to make other people feel with my art. I knew it did something special for me, although I couldn't have told you what.

A few months ago I was doing some research for my recent rocket project and I came across a wonderful quote:

"The visions we offer our children shape the future. It matters what those visions are. Often they become self-fulfilling prophecies. Dreams are maps" Carl Sagan, 1994.

It was at that moment I realized what Walt had given me - an artistic vision. As a tribute to that story, I have done my own version of The Three Little Pigs. I can only hope that my art can have that same wonderful effect that Walt and his talented army of artists still have on me.

Jennifer
www.castleberryds.com

1 comment:

  1. I love he Sagan quote!! And we also had a stereo that was a piece of furniture-I loved it! I used to do the same thing and listen to my records over and over on it. The pigs came out great!

    ReplyDelete