Sunday, July 17, 2011

Old telescopes make me happy!

Here is a picture I took recently of some old telescopes.  I used Photoshop to age the image so it would look a little older and more interesting.  I love telescopes.  When I was a little girl I wanted to be an astronomer.  That was when I thought all you did was look through a telescope at the beautiful heavens above.  Then I realized that it was all math, and you hardly ever get to look through a telescope.  That is when it started sounding really bad to me (the math portion of my brain is a small, shriveled pathetic little thing.)  I did get a bit of a thrill as a kid though, when I had the pleasure of meeting Clyde Tombaugh, the man who discovered Pluto.  This was the coolest thing ever for a wanna-be nerd like myself.  I knew that all other planets had been discovered long ago by famous dead astronomers.  It was so neat that I got to meet the only one alive in my lifetime.  Then, they went and took it away.  I was so sad, not only did he lose his achievement as an astronomer, I could no longer say I met someone who discovered a planet.  I was truly heartbroken!  He had passed away before it was demoted, but his family was still very sad.  In my home state, New Mexico, Pluto is still considered a planet in honor of it's resident, Clyde Tombaugh. 

Anyway, I have always loved telescopes. They are elegant and beautiful.  I have one that my family and I take out to see the stars in the summer.  When I saw these, I had to snap a picture of them.  I think they will make a nice reference for a painting.

Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment